Friday 13 September 2013

Lakes, rivers and white water kayaking

On Monday we went on the lake in kayaks with a company called Rapidrunners. It was our warm up and teaching sesh before heading out onto a river the next day.

As it turns out, if you're a complete beginner, like I am, it's pretty common to not be able to steer. At all. All we had to do was cross the lake to a quieter bay so that we could practise manoeuvres. 20 minutes later I was still spinning around in the middle of the lake! We did get to the other side eventually and the actual lesson started.

We had to learn 4 different types of rescue in case we flipped over and ended up upsidedown in the water. 

1. Self rescue. Easy peasy lemon squeazy.

When you're in a kayak you have a spray deck on that blocks some of the water getting in. It's like wetsuit material. You put it on like a skirt, not the most flattering, and when you get in the boat it stretches over the opening. If you flip upsidedown all you need to do is pull open the spray deck and swim out.

2. T-rescue. Easy for Martyn. Not so easy for Jess.

When upsidedown, don't pop your deck(!) but instead run your hands along the sides of the boat out the water and wait for someone else's boat to come and get to one side. Then use the front of their boat to push yourself out the water.

3. Guitar/palata roll. Easy for Jess. Eventually easy for Martyn.

When about to roll get into position. Paddle on the left side, just under the water. Hold the back paddle with your left hand and right hand in the middle of the 'stick bit'. Flip underwater. Then pull the paddle from in front of you to behind you while at the same time lean as far back as you can go. Just as you reach the surface use your hips to right the boat fully.

4. Eskimo roll. Eventually easy for Jess. A bit trickier for Martyn.

The same technique as above but instead of holding the paddle itself, your hands are in the position they'd be in as if you were previously paddling.

Phew!!!

We spent the whole day in and out of the water. To say we were tired was an understatement!

The guys that were teaching us were obviously great mates and when we stopped for lunch they entertained us pratting around perfectly! There were tow boats on the shore from tourists so they borrowed them and had a race. When the tourists came back they thought their boats had been stolen!

As we paddled back to the other side we stopped at the temple in the lake. A little Hindu temple, overrun by pigeons. Martyn wanted to practise rolling a bit more so we chilled out.

On heading back to shore Proshant (our teacher) asked me to do one more roll. By this point I could do them every time I tried so I thought one more won't hurt. Hmmm... My body had other ideas. I was really tired from the whole day and just couldn't right myself. I tried 3 times. The guys were all a bit far away as they knew I could so it so there was no-one to 'T rescue'. I panicked loads and self rescued but I really did think I was gonna drown! There was no actual risk, but it was damn scary...

The next day we were taken to a local river for our white water kayaking. I was nervous as the last experience I'd had in the kayak wasn't exactly reassuring but the guys were supportive and their laid back charm helped to settle the nerves.

Bearing in mind that I hadn't mastered steering yet and the safety briefing comprised a lot of, "if my paddle is in this direction, go that way" I didn't hold out much hope for staying in the boat!

As we approached the first rapid the guys all shouted, "stay straight!" So of course I immediately spun round exposing my side. I paddled hard and managed to straighten up just in time and rode the rapid over rocks, into churning water and back out onto smooth river. I'd cleared the first one! Yay! I turned round with a big grin on my face to look for Martyn who was after me and was greeted by his upsidedown empty boat. Turns out he didn't clear the first one...

I'd like to say that we both mastered kayaking brilliantly and rode each rapid like a pro, but then I'd be lying! I wiped out pretty spectacularly over one particularly high rock. After another perfect rescue from the team I was back in my boat and ready to go, just to fall out again instantly! I forgot that as you head back to the current of the river you have to counteract it otherwise it will just topple you. Oops!

We worked hard for 2 hours and stopped for lunch under a beautiful waterfall. As hard as it was we could definitely get used to it!

After a total of 4 hours on the river we were both shattered. We started making silly mistakes and were out the boat more than in it! (from my previous comments that sounds impossible but I assure you we were pretty good!)

Getting out of the river we were greeted by water buffalo who were obviously confused as to what on earth we were doing in their river!

No comments:

Post a Comment